Xavier Ruiz is the non-executive Chairman of Atlantico Capital Partners. He is also the founding partner of RC Law LLP, a corporate and finance law boutique. Xavier is qualified to practice in New York (1998) and Spain (1982). Mr. Ruiz advises corporations on cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and corporate finance transactions, as well as on privatizations and concessions, with a focus on United States and Latin America. His work in these areas led to his ranking as one of the leading international M&A lawyers by Legal Media Group’s “Expert Guide to the World’s Leading M&A Lawyers” (a Euromoney publication) in both the US and Spain’s chapters, in two consecutive editions (2005 and 2006). More recently, Mr. Ruiz was included in the “Best for Cross-Border M&A” list published by “The Corporate America – Legal Elite 2015”.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Ruiz was a partner of K&L Gates’s New York office (2011-2014) and the U.S. head of Garrigues, Spain’s largest law firm (2005-2011). Previously, Mr. Ruiz was a partner of global law firm Baker & McKenzie, where he developed a 15-year career in Spain (Barcelona), Latin America (Buenos Aires) and the United States (San Francisco, Chicago and New York) thereby gaining a broad international transactional experience.
Mr. Ruiz has also served as Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Spain-US Chamber of Commerce in New York (2010-14). He currently holds the position of Vice-Chairman and Chair of Strategic Planning Committee of the Chamber. He is also an officer of Vicente Ferrer Foundation USA, a large non-governmental organization committed to eradicate extreme poverty in India.
Mr. Ruiz holds a Law Degree (“Licenciado en Derecho”) from the University of Barcelona, Spain (1982), a Master in International and Comparative Law from the Free University of Brussels (Vrije Universiteit Brussel), Cum Laude (1986) and a Master in Laws (LL.M.) with Honors, from the University of California at Berkeley (1987), where he studied with a Fulbright Scholarship.
- Advised an electrical company in the U.S. with a contract for a power plant in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Acted for a Spanish financial lender in connection with a US$600 million acquisition financing for a tender offer by a Colombian company over a Peruvian listed company.
- Acted for a Swiss travel conglomerate in connection with various acquisitions of U.S. incoming business operators.
- Acted for Mexican sellers in connection with a more than US$250 million sale of a Mexican media/entertainment family business to a U.S. network.
- Advised Swiss/United Kingdom chemical conglomerate in connection with the spin off of its specialty chemical business.
- Acted for a Spanish-listed security group in connection with its more than US$200 million acquisition of the largest Latin American security group with subsidiaries in eight Latin American countries.
- Acted as lead counsel for the reorganization of the Western Hemisphere subsidiaries of a leading Japanese electronics conglomerate that involved 10 countries and valued more than US$1 billion.
- Acted for a Spanish leading telecommunications company in connection with its more than US$350 million tender offer regarding a telecommunications carrier in Central America.
- Acted for a U.S. private equity firm in connection with the acquisition of the Spanish soft drink beverage business of a U.S. chemical and food conglomerate.
- Acted for a U.S.-listed pharmaceutical company in connection with the sale of a manufacturing plant in Spain.
- Acted for a U.S.-listed chemical group in connection with the sale of its Spanish specialty chemical business.
- Acted for a Spanish company in connection with the bulk sale of a U.S.-listed offshore construction and management company.
- Acted for a Spanish industrial group in connection with the establishment of joint venture manufacturing facilities in the People’s Republic of China.
- Acted for a Spanish-listed construction company in connection with its acquisition of a U.S. security solutions company.
- Acted for a U.S.-listed company in connection with several acquisitions of automobile parts manufacturers in Argentina.
- Acted for a U.S.-listed telecommunications/media company in connection with the acquisition of 17 cable TV operators in Argentina.
- Acted for a U.S.-listed generics company in connection with two successive acquisitions of pharmaceutical and food producing companies in Argentina.
- Acted for a leading, Spanish family-owned household equipment manufacturer in connection with its US$150 million takeover of its U.S. joint venture group.
- Advised a leading U.S. healthcare management company in connection with a joint venture with a local partner to build and manage a private clinic in Barcelona, Spain.
- Acted for a Spanish-listed company in connection with its acquisition of two vehicle service/extended warranty providers in the U.S.
- Advised the New York branch of a Spanish leading financial institution in connection with multiple public finance transactions in the U.S.
- Advised the Miami branch of a Spanish financial institution on multiple financings of hotels and resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean.
- Advised the Bolivian government regarding the legal compliance for privatization of a local power company, an electrical distributor and the postal service.
- Advised on the winning bid in the privatization of the port in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Advised a Spanish hospitality group in connection with the acquisition of a resort in the Caribbean.
- Advised a Chilean group in connection with the sale of its minority interest in a California closed corporation and simultaneous acquisition of all equity interest in the Chilean subsidiary of such corporation.